Wednesday, June 4, 2008

VENUE REVIEW: OXFORD ARTS FACTORY

Whoever thought that the song title by one of Australia’s finest, Men at Work, could be used to describe a Sydney venue so well. Yes, while we all live in a “Land Downunder”, the people who inhabit the OAF live in a land DOWNUNDER Oxford Street in a place DOWNUNDER a level of human decency set for a sick, mangy, half-dead dog that has AIDS and is strapped to a ticking time bomb with 2 seconds on the timer.

But still, where else would you go to see the best of Sydney “indie” “rock” “music”? Jesus, the Cassette Kids haven’t played there for 2 weeks. What the fuck? That’s how you lose patrons. I was gonna go there yesterday, but since I haven’t seen an over-dressed, bullshit music playing, friend of a Ksubi employee, coke snorting, music novice, Smiths/Blondie/Klaxons/Duran Duran cover band playing there for 11 days I ain’t going.

But still, I do like their accidental ability to pull in the occasional decent band. I’m sorry Trans Am. You were booked poorly. I’m sorry Raveonettes. People often mistake a decent dress sense with Sydney highbrow dance rock hurl rock.

That said, I cannot go past the fact the place has two bars! It is so good when you are “buzzing” out to the latest “hit” dance act and you can whip next door and sip down on a quiet shandy next door. It is so good to get away from it now and again. Wow. I was there like 2 weeks ago and I saw the guy from Wolfmother. It was awesome. We had the best chat. It was amazing. I wanked all night.

Anyway, great fun… just what Sydney needs. Hopefully I’ll Van Sheeeee you all there soon…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this the place that serves longnecks to people in paper bags?

Anonymous said...

I cant say i OVERLY love the place, yes they sell longnecks in paper bags and yes its full of lots of pretty people.

but its terribly expensive and conceitedly so, pretentious wankers to the left and right...

OAF i dislike, yes, but in another way i like, its often quite funny watching sleazy guys try to access the two rooms full of pretty girls downstairs in thier latest outfits from Industrie.

PS first time reader of this blog and im really loving it, kudos
im glad someone is telling this stuff.

Anonymous said...

That venue needs to adopt some post modern grindcore acts.

Joshua Wang said...

All I can say is that Oxford Arts Factory is one of my favourite venue's to go to for gigs. It is much better then the Metro, which is just small and terrible. The location of this place is great and I still think that they are truly doing some good for the Sydney music industry.

I believe that the music scene in Sydney is dying and this is one of the few venues still bringing in young bands as well as international bands. This is great but to me we still need to boost the music scene more.

Check out my blog for more ideas.
http://gigsmdia.wordpress.com/